Sunday, February 4, 2007

My Home Town

Do look at this video. This is a fun video that introduce my hometown. I know you will definitely feel you do not know what they are singing about; it does not matter, because most of Chinese except Sichuan people can understand the funny music. They were singing in Chengdu dialect. Maybe the translation even cannot let you understand the meaning directly. However, Iwhat I am trying to show you is that, from the normal person’s perspective what there hometown looks like. This is not a video captured by a professional cinematographer, but as a Chengduren I can feel what they want to show us or show everyone else in the world. It is an awesome way to interpret a city in there own language. In addition, it was such a significant way to interpret something, you already know better and deeply loved.
The first impression of this video is two character “成都”(Chengdu). Then you see a statuary of Chairman Mao, he is not only significant to Chengdu also China and our whole nation. Therefore this statuary is one of the symbol of Chengdu, situated in the central of Chengdu.
Rounded by colorful neon light, like a 5th Ave in New York。Chunxi Road is an influential shopping place noted for its worldwide combination. In China the mall will not close early on the weekend, on the contrary it will open later than weekdays.
As you know Chinese has a kind of activity “MaJiang” We played a lot in our spare time, it is significant famous in China especially in Chengdu. You can see people paly this every now and then especially for old people. There is a saying that ”play Majiang everyday can prevent you suffer from the Alzheimer’s disease.” Chengdu is a leisure city famous in China a best place to release yourself.
When you mentioned Chengdu there are four things you could never miss. They are beauty, spicy, panda, face changing and spitting out fire. .
Beauties, In China we said beauties all come from Sichuan. It is not over praise, many girls are very beautiful. if you do not believe what I said you can confirm it by yourself.
We eat spicy food everyday; we cannot survive without spicy food. At the very beginning, we eat hot food to get rid of the humidity. Gradually it becomes a habit. We made the first Hot Pot in the world, we like eat hot pot even in summer time.
Giant panda as China’s national treasure is grow in Chengdu. As a Chengduren I am proud of it. And everyone has chance to see it in the Panda Reserve, you can see how joyful they are and they enjoy better welfare life even than human beings. Lol~~
Face changing is unique skill of Sichun opera. The performer changing him mask in one second. Nobody can figure out how he made it. Therefore, face changing as a most significant cultural heritage was famous all around the world..
I do recommend everyone in the class watch this video too. This is a shot movie about Chengdu direct by famous director Zhang Yimou( the director of Curse of the golden flower).
Everyone loves their hometown, either do I. so, I want everyone know about my hometown also know my Country, I think China developed in everywhere, many people did not know that. So I just make some effort to let them comprehend Chengdu. I have responsibility to do that. Maybe the limitation of my expression can not convey perfect about my home but at least you know what a wonderful place I came from.
here


1 comment:

^_^Lu^_^ said...

"my Home Town"- this is the topic most of us have written about. before, i was just gonna think about "my Home City", but now there is another meaning behind it, especially from an immigrant family."My Home Town" is also could be "My Home Country". Your essay has reminded me all the happy memories when i was there. the narrow alley, the lively night market, and all friendly folks..hah...especially the food...has always lingered in my mind~woo~ miss "My Home Town"~!
我爱家乡的美食~~