Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Self-reflection

Jiarui Xie
Self-reflection
I have come to US for about 9 months, the hardest problem I encountered in my study and living was language. English as my second language, however I need to use it when I am thinking and reasoning. Of cause in writing, I say “have to” because I really hate writing and writing in English is always a thing make me dying faster. When I begin to face doing this, I was feeling hopeless. Since, everything you want to say and everything you want to write about come out firstly in your mind is Chinese. Then you try to translate your Chinese into English, so sometimes you really feel what you intend to say does not make sense to the listener, meanwhile when you try to translate in your mind first you must consider which word is suitable for this situation. Even you know number of words when you need them, it seems that nothing comes out just some simple word, you will feel disappointed and then you give up. After that, you should consider which paten is probable to use in this sentence.
Apparently, you can see in my posting, I was easy to forget paying attention to your tense. At least I always forget that. That is my difficulty in writing an essay. What I want to do is to practice more read more and listen more. (Just all about my feeling about writing in English)
Furthermore, What I learned in writing an essay, basically, you must make your opinion clearly, you don not have to use many outstanding words some even you do not usually use them in any situation. I am a Chinese I usually confuse about word choice because I don not know among a lot of words with same meaning which one is common use in American way. When a big word come out in your essay may make a big joke. You should make sure you have you are using words correctly. If you do not know, what the word mean or how to use it, you had better not use it. You sentences must look tidy and not present any obstacle to readers. However, one thing I should suggest that avoid using the same word repeatedly, I was doing poor in this aspect. Try to think of a different word that can be substituted. I often have the feeling why I write the same word in the same paragraph several times. However, sometimes I have no idea. just let it be there. Word choice will kill me someday, I suppose.
The thesis of the essay must be a guide or a leader to the essay, each individual paragraph of your essay should be focus on single idea of your thesis. Sentences should not be choppy, and they should not run on beyond a single idea. It is better to have a topic sentence of each paragraph that announces the theme of the paragraph. The reader can easily aware that, what you are going to say and in which aspect you are sticking to and developing.
You are not just expounding your idea; you must have evidence to support your idea. Using examples and quotations in your essay is a clearly and sensible way to make it. It will present to your readers that you are logical and you are certainly sure what your want to say. It is important doing this in your essay writing. In other word, make every effort possible to be clear about each point in the essay.
The first paragraph and the title are generally very important to an assay. In the real world readers make up their mind buy glancing at your title and first paragraph, some will even regardless your first paragraph.
Do not be cheesy with your conclusion and make sure you choose a significant and clearly way to end up your essay. Make it goes like your development. Do not make it too complicated to understand.
After you finishing your essay, revising and check is also quite essential.

No comments: