Monday, April 9, 2007

extra credit


This is my first time to go to a reading meeting like that, also the first to take the extra credit. It was April 2 a windy day. Lu and I went together we waited about one hour but we did not see anyone. We thought it was canceled any reason, however we did not receive any notice about that. I did not want to give up, anyway, We decided we stay unless we got some further information.
Soon we see someone in our class she said the place changed to 4200.We get there soon, fortunately, the meeting has not begun. We grabbed a chair and were sited.
I looked around found not so many people attend, actually, it was not a big meeting. The Denver Mint Reading Series is presented by Copper Nickel, CU-Denver Live!, and the UCDHSC Writing Center, with support from the UCDHSC Department of English as a means of circulating to the local, regional, and national community American literature's new coins. This is the brief of this reading series.
I do not know what I was going to do at the beginning. Should I take notes? Should I make a recording? I took out of my notebook supposed to write something on it.
Someone did a introduction, as the meeting has began. I switched my attention to it. When someone said let’s welcome Joshua to give us a introduction about the writer. I thought it was you .I searched the whole room wondering you have came yet. However, it was other Joshua. He gave the brief introduction to the first author who would read to us later. Her name is Danielle Dutton. She teaches fiction writing at Naropa University in Boulder. She is the author of Attempts at a Life, which was released last moth from Tarpaulin Sky Press, and a novel, SPRAWL, forthcoming from Clear Cut Press. Her writing has appeared (or will soon) in journals such as Fence, The Brooklyn Rail, 3rd bed, Octopus, and NOON, and she is currently the Associate Editor of the Denver Quarterly.
She was wearing a black frame glass and black sweater. When she talked, you would never believe she is a writer. I thought a wrier should be very patient, well organized and clearly. In reverse, she was reading so fast. I could not catch up her. In addition, she was checking her watch now and then. I did not know why she was hurry about. I just give her some suggestion if she gives reading to audience like that she should be patient and read with her heart.
The second writer is
Stephanie Young. She was better than Danielle Dutton. And what he wrote I think was very interesting.

No comments: